19 July 2007

Finally, a favorable exchange rate!!

I spend the last three weeks wondering how I, coming from the "greatest country in the world," could travel somewhere and have my money be next to worthless. Seriously. In Cyprus, the rate was 1USD to .43 CYP, in Europe where the Euro is in use, it is about 1USD to .74E, In England, it was bad, too. I didn't get it. Imagine my surprise when I come to find out that every dollar I spend here, I am actually spending two. Man. I try to be frugal, but it just doesn't happen that way sometimes. I mean, if I can't sit at an outdoor pub, with my book, and a pint or three, why did I even bother coming to Europe in the first place? Yeah, I don't know either..

All that has changed however, when I arrived yesterday in the beautiful and historic city of Krakow, Poland (very strange, as I sit here, someone in playing 'taps' on a bugal). Once I got here, I was quite happy to learn the for every dollar I spend, I am actually only spending 1/3 of a dollar - er, I think. It's like this.. Something here that is worth 100.00YZ (thats Polish money, I think) it actually only costing me about 33.00 - so yeah, a 1/3.

On a serious note, right after I got here yesterday morning, I put my backpack in lockup and headed to the bus station for the 1/5 hour drive out t Auschwitz and Birkenau - both Nazi death and labor camps. To say that it was humbling, to say that standing on the same ground gave me chills, to say that I am not the same person I was yesterday before getting of the bus would be an understatement. Imagine, standing in the same place where over 1.5 million people were systematically killed - imagine seeing the gas chambers (what's left of them, anyway) and imagine seeing the incinerator where at full speed, 1400 bodies a day (24 hours) were cremated. It was an overpowering and sobering experience. I won't soon forget the sight of it.

Which brings me to this... the idea of tourism to places like Auschwitz and, for example Ground Zero, I think aren't necessarily a bad thing.. However, I take exception to those people who, yesterday, chose to pose in front of the barracks, or in front of the "HALT!" signs - c'mon did they really have to be smiling? I mean at least pretend that the weight of the moment and the history of the place isn't lost on you! I mean, 1.5 million people.. Ah well.. I guess if people can pose at Pearl Harbor and Ground Zero flashing smiles and V for victory signs with their index and middle finger (not kidding), they can pose here, too.

OK. So I'm leaving here tonight and catching the overnight train to Berlin. I hoping that I can stand at Checkpoint Charlie and maybe pretend to get shot as I try to run across from East to West.. I think the people I saw yesterday would enjoy that, right?

Let's see.. What have I forgotten.. Oh yeah.. It's incredibly hot here in Poland. Really hot. So I'm doing a lot of late afternoon and evening exploring.. So it was without too much energy expelled and heat stroke that I used my solar powered flashlight and walked around looking for the Submarine Screen Door factory.. I haven't found it yet, but I know it's here. I'm guessing it's very secret because everyone I ask just gives me dirty looks..

One final thing.. Auschwitz and Birkenau aside, I am in love with this city. It is perhaps the most perfect tourist city. Everything is neat, clean and close-by. There are tons of places to eat and everyone seems really friendly and helpful. As I sit here now there is music and conversation drifting in through the window, I hear laughter and smell great food. I honestly don't want to leave. What Serbia has in charm and wit, and what Budapest has in backpackers, Krakow has comfort. I could live here.
Oh, and did I mention how incredibly beautiful the women here are? They are beautiful. Incredibly.


Tomorrow I take Berlin. See ya!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So envious of your travels. Sounds like you are dong it right. I too was moved when I visited Dachau, a concentration camp in Germany. Without words... Have fun, be safe.

Melissa said...

The Peacemaker Institute has a reteat in Auschwitz ("Bearing Witness")every year. http://www.peacemakerinstitute.org/auschwitz.html
It is amazing how powerful visiting such places can be.

Unknown said...

damn schell, humbling journey... all sounds good otherwise. more pics please!
duffy

Anonymous said...

pretty cool journey so far hope you took alot of pictures! stay safe see you soon ---CG

Anonymous said...

Johnage...it is fun to hear about all of your adventures. I have stopped watching all of my real TV shows and look forward to tuning in to the Schell show. Safe travels! Also, Katie would like to get your emails. She says hi and cant wait to meet up with you. Her address is kchristie@sandi.net