17 July 2007

Vienna, Austria.. Home of Hitler and Weiners..

Well, I survived Bularia, Belgrade, and Budapest.. Now, on to the C's..


Not sure where I left off but I am just finishing up spending three of the most pleasant days in recent memory here in Vienna. This entire city is incredibly beautiful (ok, at this point, I am going to use the kezboard how it is.. because I am on a limited amout of time and its taking me forever to remember that some of the letter kezs are in different places and then having to go back and fix it.. everztime zou see a z, make it a y and vicez-versz)


So, I was in Budapest the other daz and while I was impressed with its ancient-ness and all, it just didnt (the apostrophe is in a different place too, so I am leaving them out as well) do anzthing for me. Honestlz. I walked around, got lost actuallz, and zes, I was impressed with the buildings and everzthing, I mean, thez are amazing, literallz (I am getting a laugh at this y and z business now.. Its reading in mz mind like Ali G).. the Denaube is spectacular (and real) and but I while I was walking around all I kept seeing were pasty white German tourists in their questionable fashion sense, tons of higher-end fashion stores, and (alas, I was one) backpackers everywhere!! Wasnt Budapest supposed to be this mystical place with Turkish baths and and and.. I dont know.. Mazbe I just read into it wrong, but it didnt impress me all that much. The charm that I found in places like Sofia, Bulgaria and Belgrade, Serbia was definitely lacking in Budapest. I was there for 24 hours, saw what I felt I needed to see and then got the heck out of Dodge..

Interestingly enough, it was Bastille Day in France while I was in Budapest so there was this HUGE festival across the Lion Bridge, extending for almost a mile along the Denaube on the Buda side. French flags, french music, french fries, and to drink.. Peru. (anyone getting that reference is my hero).. I dont know, after a three hours of listening to French music, I too would want to give up and let someone else occupy me (wait, can I even say that here??)

But I digress.. I am now, and have been, for the last three days in beautiful Vienna.. Honestlz, I could live here. The city is old. Very, very old. Its a pleasure to walk around here and just get lost (something I have discovered I am verz good at doing) among the old alleyways and shops.. Also, on the train from Belgrade to Budapest I met a new friend who lives here in Vienna. She is originally from Serbia but moved to Vienna at 15 (just after Communism fell - trippy). Anyway, she was nice enough to show me around the last few days. It has been extremely interesting talking with someone who lived through as much as she and her family has.

As much as I love it here, it is incredibly hot and super expensive, so, sadly, I am leaving tonight and heading for Krakow, Poland.

In Poland, I am planning on visiting Aushwicz (I spelled that wrong). It should be sobering reminder of what took place here not too long ago. I think that we should travel to places like that (included is Pearl Harbor, Ground Zero, etc) so that we are and continue to be painfully aware of what can happen when we let our guard down and sit on our laurels for too long.

Ahem.. Ok. enough of that for now. I am going to hop a Metro and make my way down to the Denaube to sit along the banks and watch the world go by.


Thats is for now. I will update more when I can. I am taking the overnight train to Krakow and I should onlz be there for the daz. I think I might actuallz come back to Vienna before heading to Germany and then to France to meet Katie in Paris..

Oh, the answer to the million dollar question from the last post.. She was using her teeth to cut the cheese. Her friggen teeth. Maaaaaaaaan.

See za!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work scheldon! enjoy reading your posts, makes me feel like i am on vacation too. well iam,but ... whatever. Got a little worried when i didnt see a posting for a few days, thought u may have been abducted or something in serbia. dont worry i still have the ransome fund, so its all cool. Anyhow, I had a million thoughts of what that woman was using to "cut the cheese". The jokes that could be made... anywho enjoy your trip,and I may not be n.y. when you come back b/c i am going to marthas vineyard for a while. let me know when you are comming in... Good luck
Duffy