22 July 2007

Pacific Beach + Old Buildings = Prague

Well, I know I said I was going to take Berlin, but once having gotten there the other morning, I looked around, walked around, saw the Reichstagg, took a picture of me in front of it, and then hopped a train to Prague.

On the train from Poland to Berlin, the most amazing thing happened.. I ran into 5 girls from Moldova who were on their way to Uni to be teachers. We started talking and long story short they all started singing Modovian folk songs for me. It was beautiful.

Prague. The very name has stuck in my head since I saw an episode of Friends when Phoebe tells Monica that she lived there for a few years.. After that, I had to go there.

Ok, seriously, one of the few things I knew about Prague was that Franz Kafka lived and wrote there, and that Hitler so loved the city, he somehow protected it from Allied bombing during WWII.

I see it a bit different.

I got there on Friday moring, walked around in the heat, found an over, OVER priced hostel (seriouslz, Im embarassed to tell zou what it looked like and how much it cost) and then went for a walk around town. I discovered the the city is indeed extraordinarily beautiful. So, after walked around for a few hours, I headed back to my room, showered up and then went to the Mexican plan downstairs for dinner (i know, I told the guy the same thing). While there I met some ex-pat teachers from the States.. It was one of their birthdays, so they invited me to join them for the night. I did and after our burritos, we were off.

Ill save all the details, but I will say that I was extremelz disappointed to find the same PB-Fratboy communitz living in Prague that lives in Pacific Beach - it was crazy. I decided tht I was goign to leave the next morning. I remembered though that I had made sightseeing plans with two of the girls that I met that day. If they didnt show up, I was happy to be out of there..

So, the next morning, one of them shows up and Im extremely glad that she did. We did the complete city tourist thing.. took tons of cheezy photos, saw the sights, met up with the other friends, ran into random Americans (we tend to stand out a bit). And then had dinner and drinks before I hopped the night train to Munich. Which is where I am now.

I arrived this morning and, always wanting to see the Alps, I hopped a two hour train to Innsbruck a mountain city nestled in, well, the Alps. It was exactly what I figured itd be - quiet, quaint, boring.. So, after lunch I hopped back on the train (the conductor was like Mr Schell, weret you on the train HERE).. Now, I am back in Munich at the Wombat Hostel. I have five minutes left so I am going to check some email, and then head out to explore the city.

PS - while i AM taking a ton of pictures, I have no way of uploading them.

7 comments:

This is thao's blog said...

http://www.photobucket.com

http://www.kodakgallery.com

http://www.flickr.com/

photo uploading thingies for you...

unless you mean gettin the pics out of your camera.. then uhh... those target picture stations?

Melissa said...

A little travelin' music please

Melissa said...

.....and I'd suggest flickr.com....only bc I've got an account on there. Yes, I am selfish.

Unknown said...

LOL it isnt that I dont have a place to put the pictures.. I have no way of uploading them to the computer. Ill get them up, dont worry..

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having great adventures... I was definitely laughing when I read about the "circle dance" at the wedding. I imagine there was lots of money on the floor and broken plates too. Those Greeks are a bit crazy.
I look forward to more stories of your travels.
Katerina

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see ur pix!LOL

Anonymous said...

no way of uploading the pics.. i hope you brought a few memory cards with you. you might have been to more countries in the past few weeks than i'll ever be in my life! --CG