08 August 2007

OK, so yeah.. Florence, Italy..

Well, here we go. Another day, another update...

The last time I updated this was in Barcelona (I think, the days and places are running together quite well).. So, since then, Ive been to Barcelona, Valencia, Ibiza, back to Barcelona, Rome, Naples, and now sitting here in Florence...

Let me start with Barcelona.. Not really much to say. I love the Spanish food, drink, and of course their idea that taking two hours off in the middle of the afternoon is a good idea (it is, in fact, a GREAT idea!). But, as much as I loved the city, I really didnt take to it too. It was a nice place, plenty of markets, pubs, places to eat, etc, but it was hot, smelly, and for the most part, boring. We had with us a stragler by the name of Greg, whom we met in San Sebastian who came with us to get drinks and to eat for two or three days (really, after a while, enough was enough, get back to your own vacation, kid!). There were plenty of things to see and do and we did some of them. It was hot though, so we moved on...

From Barcelona we went to Valencia. Ho hum. I had heard it was a nice fishing village with plenty of beaches and great places to eat. It was. However, it was much bigger than I expected (or liked) and it smelled. The people we nice though. I wouldnt go back, but it was a nice addition to the trip.

From Valencia, we caught the ferry to Ibiza. Yeah. Ibiza. It was pretty much as I expected it to be. Which was, of course, crazy. We avoided the huge 50 euro entry fee clubs (about 70 US dollars) and went to the other side of the island and partied at an Irish pub. It was, to say the least, an incredible time. Sort of like Vegas but with, well, more, Vegas..

After Ibiza, we caught the ferry (just barely, we were the last ones on it and they had to put the gangplank back down for us) to Barcelona.. We caught a flight from there to Rome.

Rome was incredible. Mind bending, even. How can you describe something like that. You cant. So I wont. I took a ton of pictures though, but even those dont do it justice. I was and still remain, without words..

Yawn.. There is more, but its like 5am, I just got in from the bar and Im tired. We're leaving Florence tomorrow morning and heading to Cinque Terre, which is a series of 5 fishing villages on the western coast. The hike is supposed to be beautiful. From there we go to Venice and then Interlaken, Switzerland for a little fun and adventure.

Ok.. So I am going to bed.. I only have a week left before I fly home - a fact which I am finding myself terribly saddened by. There is so much more I want to do, so much more I want to see.

Oh, that brings me to my final thought.. We went to the Vatican yesterday and to the Sistine Chapel.. It was, as I expected, an amazing experience. But it was just that, an experience. While I was there, there were people snapping picture after picture without even taking a look at what they were taking the picture of. It seemed as though they wanted to take the picture just to say they were there! That bothers me a bit. While Ive been in Europe there have been a TON of things that I havent seen or done, but I am confident in saying that Ive more than made up for that by taking the time to know some of the locals. Like I said before, Ive met some amazing people - people who I wouldnt have met had I been waiting in queue for one historical thing of another. I came here not to SEE Europe, but to experiece it. I think in that sense Ive been extremely successful. Hopefully, if youve been reading along, you would agree.

Ok, enough for now. Ill try to update when I can...

John

10 comments:

Melissa said...

and I was just checking on your blog in order to make some snide comment on the fact that it's been some time since you posted. Boy, have you got me licked! I agree with you, too many people "experience" things in like only through the viewfinder, so they have memories of the things they never fully experienced the first time around. Glad you are not doing that and really enjoying your adventures. One week, sad, yes, but being in your own bed can be wonderful too! :)

Melissa said...

Opps...."experience things in LIFE...."

Anonymous said...

chck ur email for some info guy....
-duffy

Unknown said...

nothing in my email, duf.. which one you sending it to

Anonymous said...

uuugggghh !!! glad to hear ur having a good time sheldon.... my bags are packed and we leave tommorrow........... to invade ur casa hahaha see you soon i'll update YOU when we get there haha

This is thao's blog said...

hmmmm.... we?

Anonymous said...

snt to gmail

Anonymous said...

snt to gmail-duff

Anonymous said...

anyting? duff

Diogenes said...

Hi John,

We miss your bonhomie on the FDP. And it looks like you missed all the interesting parts of Florence (cradle of civilization).

Steve Smith